Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Tornadoes, Hurricanes, and what I Learned.....

So this past week I was able to check off a place on my list of places I HAVE to visit; Daytona Beach, Florida.  Now, before you go gettin' all jealous or think I'm rubbing your face in it, it was for work, I was inside a majority of the day everyday, and was on the beach once.....at 10 p.m......for about 30 minutes. So it was mostly work and no play.  BUT, here's a list of new things I learned/saw while in/traveling to and from Daytona last week.

6. Tropical storms are MUCH scarier than tornadoes!  We experienced one day 1 of the trip.  They said it was close to becoming/being (I don't know how these things workd) a hurricane.  SCARY.  The people on property laughed that we were scared and I said "Okay, yes, we do have 90 mph winds in OK, but they typically don't come with rain and water and flying debris, and even when they do and it's a tornado, it last for about 10 minutes and it's over.  This is 48 hours of it!"  Where do you go? further inland?.....I'm such a true Oklahoman.

5. Bikers.  It's possible to see thousands and thousands of bikers, and it's totally normal.  Okay, so it was Biketoberfest in Daytona this past weekend.  It was CRAZY the sheer amount of motorcycles we saw!  There are so many, every hotel sections off a part of their parking lot just for bikes.  Daytona International Speedway had a big setup with different booths and all that, and then down by the beach, on Main St. was where ALL the action was.  Bikes lined up for at least 1/2 a mile, parked on the sidewalks and bikers driving down the street like they're in a parade, showing off their bikes and makin' the drag.  There were more booths, food vendors, concerts going on every couple blocks, etc.  It was awesome.  Let me tell you, you haven't lived until you've walked down a 1/2 mile strip and back through bikers.  The people watching is amazing, and you make lots of friends along the way.

4. Five Guys burgers and fries.  This place has THE BEST burgers.  It was recently named like the top fast food burger in America, and for goot reason.  It's both delicious and totally greasy goodness.  My favorite burger of all time still has to be the Belle Isle Burger at Republic, but Five Guys has my vote on a more fast-food choice.
3. If you can't tell from #3 I ate A LOT of really bad food.  I'm definitely a foodie, especially when it comes to visiting new places.  C'mon, you just HAVE to taste all they have to offer.  I wasn't going to go to the place the locals said has the greatest BBQ and order a salad!  And the seafood was absolutely delicious!  So, basically, lesson learned here is that I still have a TON to learn about eating healthy while traveling and vacationing.  Any tips?

2. This was the most glorious looking meal when I finally got home.  Again, lesson I'm still working on learning.  Find fruit and veggies and find a way to work them into your "unhealthy" meals so you don't fill up on all the fried stuff.

1. Despite the tropical storm the day before, Tuesday, this is what the view from my room was, proving that God. Is. Great. He can overcome any adversity, weather any storm.
""Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." Jeremiah 1:2-4

No comments:

Post a Comment